England and Wales’ Covid-19 app launched
Apple and Google’s automated contact-tracing technology will be used to tell people to self-isolate if their phone detects they were near someone later determined to have the virus.
It also includes:
- a venue check-in barcode scanner
- a postcode-based risk-level checker
- a symptoms-reporter tool
- the means to order a coronavirus test and receive its results
- a countdown timer to keep track of how long to stay in self-isolation
- a guide to the latest advice on local restrictions, financial support and other related information
How can you access the app?
The app is available for smartphones only – not tablets, smartwatches or other devices.
The handsets must have Android 6.0 (released in 2015) or iOS 13.5 (released in May 2020) and Bluetooth 4.0 or higher. That excludes the iPhone 6 and older versions of Apple’s handsets.
You must confirm that you are over 16 or older to use the app.
Further details and a short video are available on covid19.nhs.uk/